Friday, May 3, 2013

A word on trust


Traveling, for me, is all about meeting new people and interacting with new cultures. As such, many times when traveling alone and leaving yourself open to the possibilities of the moment this requires you to trust in those around you and believe the best about people. I’m not talking about the blind naivety that can get you in trouble, but the real trust you give to others when you open yourself up to their humanity and allow them to help you in return.

Last time I was in Europe for my internship in Paris, I had one of these moments that came as a result of having literally nothing else to do but trust. I arrived in Paris with about 300 USD to my name after being scammed out of an apartment which, as you can imagine when converted into euros, can start dwindling very quickly. I booked a hostel, ate frugally, but even so after 4-5 days my money was running out. The day before my internship was to start I was down to about 10 euros—enough to last me one more night in the hostel. That morning at breakfast, I sat with a group of people from all over the world and ended up chatting with a man from Brasil and Saudi Arabia. They were very nice men—Vander and Abdullah, who invited me to walk around the city with them. And so we went and walked all around Paris together, eating grapes and cheap ice cream by the Seine and learning from each other’s worldviews. Because of my financial situation, the two generously gave me several metro tickets to travel around with them as well as paying for a delicious meal at the end of the day. Walking around and thinking about the gravity of my situation, I had picked out a comfortable bench near the Notre Dame that I would sleep on the following evening when my money finally did run out. Hearing this, the men refused and offered to help me out until my funds came in from school. Two complete strangers from two very different places, but two of the most genuine and kind souls I’ve ever met.

That park bench went unslept on the following evening as my school funds got deposited in my account, but I was overwhelmed by their generosity and genuine concern for my well-being and safety. Those first few days in Paris a year and a half ago was really my first indoctrination into truly trusting people and seeing with a third kind of eye: my heart.

I only mention this story because once again I am supremely blessed and amazed at the generosity of others. Last night in Fes while looking at my upcoming trip to Italy, I was told by a fellow traveler, an Italian boy from Naples named Daniele that the airport I had planned to sleep in to save money was, in fact, closed at night. Frantically, I searched for any type of lodging/transportation which could get me from Ciampino airport to Fiuminico the next morning for my flight to Catania (Sicily), a 7 hour window of time. Most everything I could find was closed for the evening, or wouldn’t accept check-ins past the 11:30pm time. Wandering around the streets of Rome, or at least crashing at Termini Train Station crossed my mind in a desperate attempt to work out all of the alternative solutions to the problem. Finally I got up the courage and decided to utilize this sense of trust again, asking Daniele if I might be able to stay with him and his uncle that night for a few hours inside of Rome.

“Of course of course!” he replied laughing, as if I had asked the silliest thing in the world. “You can stay with us for free, this is no problem!” Talking with his uncle, all of the details were arranged and it was agreed that I could in fact crash on their couch that evening until I had to catch the bus for my flight the next morning.

Though Daniele’s aunt and uncle spoke little English, their hospitality and warmth was magnanimous. After picking us up from the airport, they invited me in and immediately began to make me feel at home—offering me towels to shower, a bed to sleep on, and even a delicious Italian meal complete with all of the stereotypical yet delicious Italian cuisine—prosciutto, mozzarella, red wine, tomatoes with olive oil, bread, and tiramisu. We sat around watching the Italian version of The Voice while Daniele and his family caught up on events back home in Italy as well as our trip to Fes while I tried my hardest to pick up words here and there that sounded the same in French. In addition to their already overflowing care, Daniele’s aunt also called and reserved a taxi to come and pick me up in the morning to take me to Termini Train Station about 4km away to catch my bus to the airport. Finally around 12:30 in the morning, after making up a nice bed for me in my own room Daniele’s aunt and uncle said goodnight and we all went to bed. I slept for less than 3 hours before Daniele himself then woke me up to say goodbye and make sure that I caught my taxi and had everything in order.

“I will wait for you in Naples” he said, laughing again as I tried to express my love for his family’s last minute accommodating hospitality.

Sitting here in Fiumicino and thinking about the course of the past 24 hours, safe and full of both delicious food and gratitude, I can’t help but be blown away by the generosity of others. Of “strangers” that I’ve come to know are anything but strange. I have firmly come to believe in my travels that these “strangers” are merely friends I have yet to make, and I’m amazed at how much this attitude is internalized and appreciated by others. How one coincidental meeting, several conversations, and one new friendship developed over the course of two days could turn into a welcoming invitation into a safe place for me to stay for a few hours in an hour of desperation.
It’s times like these that I’m reminded again of why I travel—the people. Making these connections with “strangers” and learning about the deeper way-of-being behind the relationships we make. Trusting in others and learning the power of adapting to the moment that makes for the best stories and memories. I’ve heard it said that it takes an hour to like someone, a day for you to love them, and a lifetime to forget them. I know that I’ll never forget the kindness that’s been shown to me in my travels, and especially this past experience with Daniela and his family, and I hope in turn try to look for opportunities where I can extend that same arm of friendship to those in their hour of need. These people have been guiding lights helping me through some of my most difficult and scary times, complete strangers who help restore my faith in humanity and once again begin to trust and know that peace is indeed possible.

Trust is a gift, a doorway to understanding and being understood.
 
What a great way to be welcomed into Italy.

 ----------


Strange is not a word
I allow myself to know
Aloud, I say friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment